Wednesday, May 22, 2013

keeping it fresh

I would say that I grew up in a health conscious home. My mom always made us breakfast (oatmeal.oatmeal.oatmeal. and... I still eat oatmeal for breakfast lol), packed us a very german lunch (home made bread with cheese and carrots to snack on) and cooked dinner every night. When we lived in Africa it was a lot of fresh fish and vegetables, but also meat. When we moved back to Germany we stopped eating red meat and my mom bought quite a few things at an organic food store (Reformhaus... oh that smell). 

During my teens I ate whatever I wanted, as much chocolate as I could scarf down in one sitting, mc donald's as often as I wanted and don't get me started on pizza. It was not until about ten years ago where I stopped eating meat for a while and started looking at what I was eating. I did stop eating mc donald's but I didn't stop eating junk food. 

The big change came about a few years back, I met a new friend who lives a whole food organic diet and I also watched a few documentaries and became acutely aware of not knowing what I was actually eating. I realised with shock that I hardly ever looked at the ingredients list on packaged food (!) and once I started looking I again realised with shock that I didn't even know what more than half of the ingredients even were, yikes. That didn't seem right to me. 
I slowly changed my eating habits, it wasn't all new to me but I came at it from a different angle. I am way more aware and I really care about what I put in my body. I remember during my teens I knew mc donald's wasn't good for me (who doesn't, right) but I really didn't care if it was or wasn't. I think that is what really changed. I care what I do to myself now.

I know that some people don't put in the extra time to eat healthy, and/or do some research on it, for whatever the reason may be (it is their choice, no judgement). What I don't understand is, if they do know that fast food is full of toxins, bad bad bad grease, insanely processed food, and yet still give that food to their children (very upsetting). Adults can make their own choices and can be aware of what they are doing to themselves but I think it is vital to make the right choices for the next generation. Learn what is healthy and then teach children what is healthy and what is not and maybe all the serious health problems caused by processed food could be reduced!

I follow a few food blogs now and try out different recipes and make stuff up while I go along as well. It has opened up a whole new way of life to me actually. How simple eating healthy can be. 
Take pesto for instance, you can buy it at a supermarket all ready made, but if you read the ingredients there is normally (unless bought at an organic store) something in there that seems unnecessary (I saw they added dex bla bla no idea why or what... does my body know how to break that down? where does it go?) and if you want pesto all you need is basil (or parsley or whatever fresh herb you want to make it with), add olive oil, sunflower seeds (or other seeds/nuts), lemon juice, salt and pepper, some cheese if you want and then grind it all up and maybe add a tiny splash of water if it needs to be thinned out. Honestly it takes 5 minutes max. It tastes fresh, you know what's in it and you can have the great feeling of having made your own pesto sauce! mhmh. mhmhm. mhmhmhmhmhmhmh. 

Since my teens, I had this idea that I wanted to be thinner and I wanted to be fitter, I didn't feel good. well. let me tell ya. The biggest change of all is how I feel about myself. I really have come to love myself (this is a big one for me)! I have more energy overall, I never feel so full that I feel ill... I mean, I still overeat (how can I not, I LOVE food) but it's a different feeling, its not the 'I just did something really bad to myself, I might barf' feeling its more a 'oooh that was good but I should've had less' feeling... oopsies!

I'm a vegetarian, I eat fresh and I love home made junk food. 
How do you eat?


Brocoli Salad (on CousCous)


  • 2 Heads of Brocoli
  • 1 Red Onion
  • 3/4 Cup of Chick peas
  • 1 Cup of small tomatoes
  • 150grams (a block) of feta cheese
  • Handfull of sunflower seeds
  • handfull of pumpkin seeds
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 TBSP vinegar (your choice, optional)
Steam the brocoli. Add all the ingredients together, mix well. Dish on top of a grain (I used CousCous, you can use brown rice, quinoa, whatever you wish) 
Delicious! Fresh! YUMMY!

Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit me with your best shot! fire aaawaaaaaay: